Saturday, July 5, 2008

Healer of our hearts…lover of our souls

I know what it means to have my heart healed. It just took a long time to understand that Jesus was the Lover of my soul!

Though there are many words written about those short sentences. The reality is that often it takes time. Time requires commitment. But not in the way that religion would require it.

I remember at one point in my journey considering the monastic life of the monks and wondering if that may be what God requires from us. Well I would not have been much good at being a monk. Monkey maybe, but not a monk. Besides the fact that brown is not my color. I am much more of a Johnny Cash black guy. At another juncture I was sure what He wanted was for us to be like certain religious people around us. But then I couldn’t learn to cry on demand. Dead end again.

It was only in a tree; bear hunting in Newfoundland after 14 days of 6 hour stints of setting nauseatingly still and tuning out the clouds of rumbling mosquitoes that something struck me. With no one to talk to, not a bear in sight, No electronic gadgets to pre occupy my mind. Not even a burnt stick to scratch my name out on a slab of bark. I remembered this verse “Be still and know that I am God” and in that moment I realized the magnitude of those words “The Lover of my soul”. It did not matter if time suddenly ceased. There was nothing more to attain. For the one who knew me before I was in my mother’s womb, Loved my Soul! I knew that if my life went no further and they found me in a pile of bear dung some forty miles into the wilderness. I had found my reason to be. Every time I make a trek to the woods it reminds me of the Lover of My soul! I was there yesterday. I talked to him. He hasn’t changed. He is still the Healer of our hearts…The lover of our souls

Marlan

No comments: